- We have to do something to change this. Tomorrow we take the first step. #digdeep http://t.co/PAyqRlifjf 1 hour ago
- 24 hours. #digdeep 2 hours ago
- Just scheduled the Gameday setup for Game 1 tomorrow, chock full of good stuff. If you missed it, my preview here: wp.me/sZJgR-14ccqf 4 hours ago
- RT @TheAHL: Prep for #BNGvsWBS with a series snapshot: bit.ly/1k9Zaur and by using #CalderCup! @BSens_Hockey @WBSPenguins http://t.… 5 hours ago
- WBS means business this year. RT @jsteph27: Playoff time #Digdeep http://t.co/ka80AFADhL 8 hours ago
- Public Square knows what's up. #digdeep http://t.co/ZfcNdQKpcP 8 hours ago
- RT @WBSPenguins: TRANSACTION: Jean-Sebastien Dea, Matia Marcantuoni and Clark Seymour have been released today by WBS. 9 hours ago
A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
Free Agent Frenzy Day 1
July 1, 2011Posted by on
Day One of the NHL Free Agency Period is nearly in the books. The big NHL free agents are the hot commodities, but I kept my eyes on what went down in the AHL East Division with their parent teams. Team by team, here we go:
Pittsburgh / Wilkes-Barre / Scranton:
- Colin McDonald from the Oklahoma City Barons. Led the AHL with 42 goals last season. This signing struck me like a Mack truck. I did not see this happening at all. I had him signing a one-way. This is big news.
- Bombulie with a quick blurb.
- Ray Shero states that this is not the market to be signing players. With about $2 million left in cap space does this mean he loads up the farm?
Washington / Hershey:
- Paul Baier, a defenseman from the Rochester Americans. Fan favorite in Rochester and a Brown graduate. Not a veteran, so he solidifies them at that position.
- Semyon Varlamov was traded to Colorado.
- Ryan Potulny from the Binghamton Senators. Center depth for the Bears if he doesn’t stick in Washington. Likely means the end of Andrew Gordon in Hershey.
- Matt Ford from the Lake Erie Monsters. 26-16-42 for Lake Erie last season.
- Sean Collins re-signed.
Ottawa / Binghamton:
- Signed Alex Auld, thereby guaranteeing Robin Lehner to start the year in Binghamton as the Senators wanted.
- Francis Lessard re-signed.
Tampa Bay / Norfolk:
- J.T. Wyman from the Hamilton Bulldogs. Number 108 on the Bombulie list.
- Michel Ouellet, who played overseas last season (ironically with the same team John Curry signed with the Hamburg Freezers) and did time in WBS many moons ago.
- Edmonton signs Corey Potter. Disappointing to see Corey walk like that. Wish him well with his new team. Leaves a bit of a hole at the position but Wilkes-Barre has a plethora of talent at the position.
- Hershey loses its captain, Andrew Joudrey to Columbus.
- AHL observer Patrick Williams has a new job as NHL.com correspondent.
If you see any omissions from any other teams from the AHL perspective that will directly affect Wilkes-Barre, leave me a comment in the comment section. I will be back tomorrow to recap Day Two.
My thought is that Wilkes-Barre, Hershey and the heavyweights in the East Division are not done beefing up. We still need to get Brad Thiessen and Dustin Jeffrey signed. I don’t think we are done yet. Stay tuned. Business is picking up.