- I look out my window from where I work & I can see the Pens practice facility on Coal Street. Hey look! It's John Hynes practicing juggling! 2 hours ago
- Stupid veteran rules put us TWO over the limit with Conner's addition. 2 hours ago
- Chris Conner to WBS for a conditioning assignment. Giddy the hell up. 2 hours ago
- RT @penguins: #Pens forward Chris Conner has been re-assigned to @WBSPenguins on a conditioning assignment. More: pens.pe/1kxQhLK 2 hours ago
- Regardless, the ten of you that read my blog will have tons to look at next week. 14 hours ago
- Depending on opponent and schedule of course, still to be decided, May need to double stack things. 14 hours ago
- Chirps from Center Ice blogging Explosion next week. Final Power Rankings Sunday. 4Q Grades Monday. Calder Cup Playoff Preview Tues-Wed. 14 hours ago
A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Night
August 9, 2011Posted by on
Announced today that Hershey’s play-by-play voice John Walton has been “called up” by the Washington Capitals to serve as the Caps’ Director of Radio Broadcasting.
When the announcement was made, I saw a flood of kind words to Mr. Walton on the Twitter side. The AHL is truly losing a legendary voice and a man who has helped grow the league to where it is today.
Nice article here from Bears beat writer Tim Leone who, interestingly enough, mentions Wilkes-Barre’s own Scott Stuccio as a possible replacement to the departed Walton. John and Scott are friends. Stuccio previously served as Wilkes-Barre’s play-by-play voice. Scott does a TON of behind the scene work for the Penguins. He’d be the perfect guy for the job, actually, but so would the nearly 100 other applicants eluded to in the Leone article.
Silly season exists for AHL players moving to new teams, teams getting new NHL affiliations and now apparently broadcasters.
I would like to wish John the best. Whomever takes the microphone in Hershey to call Bears games this season will have extremely big shoes to fill.
Comments are closed.