- Bears up 2-1 over Norfolk. Pens and Sens could use a Hershey win tonight. #coopetition 16 minutes ago
- RT @RussWBS: The Wheeling #Nailers are tied with Reading, 3-3, after the 2nd period. Tom Kuhnhackl has the third goal for Wheeling. #ECHL 24 minutes ago
- Bingo is idle, and Norfolk and Hershey are nil-nil through 1. Albany is up 3-1 in Maine. 32 minutes ago
- 1-0 Pens thru 2. Farnham fought. Y’all know how that goes. Pens D bottling up Utica. Mannino sharp. 20 more minutes. 33 minutes ago
- Spencer Machacek cuts to the net and the Pens are on the board. 1-0 over Utica early in the second. 1 hour ago
- Quick moving first up in Utica. No score after one. Nice pace. Back to dinner. 1 hour ago
- RT @CometsInGame: First period comes to a close, #Comets and Penguins are zero-zero. Shots were 9-5 Pens. #PunishThePenguins #CometsIrishN… 1 hour ago
A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
The Hex Has a New Address – Pens LOSE 4-1
November 17, 2012Posted by on
I mentioned this in the game story that I filed for The Citizens’ Voice that the Penguins master the Bears in their own barn for nearly two years and now have lost four straight going back to last year. I also mentioned that the Pens have pretty much mastered teams while on the penalty kill but haven’t figured out the Bears special teams yet.
The Pens lost tonight 4-1. The defense corps looks pretty anemic right now. That didn’t make the game story, obviously cause it’s my opinion.
Anyway, I am writing this just after 10:20, 10 minutes before my self imposed deadline. No quotes from players or coaches, just writing. I have to say I was nervous, and don’t know how guys like JB and the like do it.
Brad Thiessen vs. Braden Holtby — Keven Veilleux and Philip Samuelsson were in for Steve MacIntyre and Brian Strait
First Period: Garrett Mitchell picks the pocket of Brian Dumoulin. Dumoulin hooks him on the breakaway. Referee Geoff Miller signals penalty shot. Mitchell scores on his attempt. Thiessen has been involved in two of the eight penalty shots awarded in the AHL and stopped one of them.
Second Period: Pens draw even when Beau Bennett setup Trevor Smith. This was all predicated by the physicality ramping up. There were fights. Joe Morrow involved in his first with tough guy Matt Clackson. You almost got the feel that things were going to turn bad. The Pens prevailed and tied the score though. Then, Mitchell again. A low angle backhander that goes in and out in the upper right hand corner of Thiessen’s net. I knew it was a goal when I saw it. It was ruled no goal at the time but Miller went and had a look at it and ruled goal. Then with .4 seconds remaining, Tomas Kundratek scored a goal off a bouncing rebound from a shot from Garrett Stafford.
Third Period: Nothing doing for the Pens offensively. Boyd Kane hits an empty net goal from center ice with Thiessen pulled.
Three Stars: 3) Braden Holtby (23 saves on 24 shots) 2) Tomas Kundratek (goal, +1) and 1) Garrett Mitchell (two goals, +3)
Around the Division: Binghamton beats Rochester 3-2 and Norfolk loses to Springfield 5-2. Syracuse drops Adirondack by a score of 5-2 and the Crunch are the first team to 20 points in the East Division.
Standings: Syracuse 20 — Binghamton 16 — Penguins 16 — Norfolk 14 — Hershey 13
Conference: 1) SPR (22) 2) SYR (20) 3) WOR (16) 4) BRI (18) 5) BNG 16) 6) WBS (16) 7) MCH 15 8) POR (14)
Wheeling Update: Nailers lost 6-1 in Toledo tonight. Patrick Killeen drubbed for all 6 Walleye goals.
Haven’t been uploaded by the Bears yet. If I see it Sunday, I’ll throw a link up here. edit: here they are
Pens have off until Wednesday when they face off against the Bears in Hershey.
Comments are closed.