- I also deliberately crossed out the “Audy” in Jonathan Marchessault’s name. It doesn’t take much to entertain me: wp.me/pZJgR-1Ei 3 hours ago
- I actually wrote this in my recap: “ SPR's PP is thing of beauty. 1) Win face-off. 2) Pass to guy. 3) Shoot 4) Celebrate with teammates." 3 hours ago
- As I walk in the door I discover that Hershey beats Bingo in a shoot out. Pens should still lead the division on tie breakers. 3 hours ago
- Bingo in OT. Earn a point and draw even, for now, with WBS for division lead. 4 hours ago
- Bears just tied it with Bingo. 4 hours ago
- 3 stars 3) Zolnierczyk 2) Thompson 1) Patrick McNeill 4 hours ago
- Pens furious rush ends without a goal. Springfield wins this and the series by a score of. 3-2. Shots 21-18 SPR 4 hours ago
A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
This Bird is Pardoned – Pens WIN 4-0
November 21, 2012Posted by on
Jeff Zatkoff is making a case for goaltender of the month. His third shutout of the season, Penguins play a sound sixty minutes of period and finally beat the Bears this season.
Abbotsford’s Barry Brust may have something to say about Zatkoff getting goalie of the month, but still.
Anyway. Penguins play a solid sixty minutes and win 4-0.
Jeff Zatkoff vs. Braden Holtby – Jayson Megna and Alex Grant were back in the lineup. Megna’s first action since November 4, and Grant’s first action since October 28. Brian Strait battling a nagging something. Brian Dumoulin scratched for Grant. Megna dressed over Tom Kuhnhackl. Brian Gibbons, Zach Sill, Dominik Uher and Joey Mormina were the other scratches.
First Period: Solid period by both teams. Scary moment for Eric Tangradi while on the power play he was struck by the ever powerful slap shot of Alex Grant. He left the ice and did not return until the….
Second Period: Pens get a power play goal via Beau Bennett that banked off of a Bears skate and in between the legs of Holtby. Later, Bobby Farnham sells a penalty and then Simon Despres scores when Riley Holzapfel wins a faceoff to Dylan Reese making it 2-0.
Then, depending on if you believe anonymous sources telling freelance writers in Hartford a thing or two about bounties, the tension hits a boiling point. Steve MacIntyre and Matt Clackson fight. MacIntyre gets a hand free and drops Clackson. He rightfully gets a game misconduct for continuing to reign blows upon Clackson and is tossed. Then Bears captain Boyd Kane gets a double minor. Tensions at this point were very high. However, no other altercations ensued. Credit referee Mark Lemelin for keeping things under control.
Third Period: Bears on a 1:45 power play, need to get a goal, but Benn Ferriero scores his first goal and the first shorthanded goal for the Penguins, essentially taking the air out of the Giant Center and making the period pretty much a boring period. Probably the most boring period of hockey between the Penguins and Bears I have seen. Bears manage one shot on goal in the period. Warren Peters nets a goal late to make it 4-0. That was about it.
Three Stars: 3) Simon Despres (goal, +1) 2) Benn Ferriero (goal, assist, +2) 1) Jeff Zatkoff (15 save shutout)
Around the Division: Norfolk falls to Charlotte 5-2.
Standings: Syracuse 22 — Penguins 18 — Binghamton 16 — Norfolk 14 — Hershey 13
Conference: 1-SPR (22) 2-SYR (22) 3-MCH (17) 4-BRI (20) 5-WBS (18) 6-BNG (16) 7-WOR (16) 8-STJ (16)
Wheeling Update: Nailers finally get back in the win column with a 4-0 shutout of the Evansville IceMen.
SendToNews Highlights: Are here.
Penguins off until Saturday when they host the Toronto Marlies.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Comments are closed.