Chirps from Center Ice

A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins

Southern Tier Implosion – Pens LOSE 4-3

As a child, I always was intrigued by the sight of a building being imploded. I don’t know, I was a weird child. I guess thats why I am still single. Anyway, tell me that this isn’t cool:

-

The sight I saw tonight, however, was far less cool from a Penguins fan perspective.

The Pens, up 3-0 to start the third period, lose 4-3 and now have lost six straight games.

I can’t explain it. In fact, I shook my head all the way home from Binghamton on I-81. Unbelievable. The atmosphere at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena was inert at best. The fans weren’t into it. It didn’t look like the B-Sens were either. They had 14 shots on goal through 40 minutes.

Then, as I sat down for the third period, I had an uneasy feeling. Sure enough, Jakob Silfverburg scores to put the B-Sens on the board. I didn’t like the goal. Jeff Zatkoff, who returned from injury and looked stellar all game, got 80% of the puck and lost out to the other 20%. :59 later, in between the B-Sens buzzing and on a power play from a Brian Strait cross-check, Shane Prince scored a goal to make it 3-2. Pens finally put their foot down and allow the Senators just one shot on goal for about seven minutes. Then, Jean-Gabriel Pageau scored his first of the season off a tip from a Patrick Wiercioch shot from the point on a shot which could best be described as a flub shot. Then, Cole Schneider feeds Shane Prince in the slot for a 4-3 Binghamton lead.

Unbelievable.

Pens got goals from unlikely players tonight. Warren Peters slipped a rebound under Robin Lehner for the first goal, Bobby Farnham scored on a sick wrist shot for the second goal and Philip Samuelsson scored the third goal in the second period.

Beau Bennett and Philippe Dupuis did not play. The Penguins went with 10 forwards and eight defensemen.

Three Stars: 3) Warren Peters (goal, +1) 2) Jean-Gabriel Pageau (goal, +1) and 1) Shane Prince (two goals, +1)

Around the Division: Hershey shuts out Norfolk at home in front of a large crowd 4-0. Syracuse was off.

Standings: Syracuse 37 — Binghamton 32 — Hershey 30 — Penguins 28 — Norfolk 23

Conference: 1) SYR (37) 2) SPR (35) 3) POR (34) 4) BNG (32) 5) PRO (30) 6) HER (30) 7) WOR (29) 8) BRI (29) 9) WBS (28)

Wheeling Update: Nailers played a morning game vs. the Greenville Road Warriors and won 4-1. Carl Sneep had a goal for the Nailers, who have won four games in a row and look to be righting the ship.

SendToNews Highlights: Are slowly being curated by Kate Krenzer and the B-Sens staff, but are here if you want to put video to the description above.

Where do we go from here? Good question. I have no idea. Having Zatkoff back helped, but it looked like he fought the puck in the third period. The 10 forwards / 8 defensemen project looked great, until the third period. I don’t know. I really don’t. Really a bad time to be losing, when every game right now is against a divisional opponent. This is not a time to fumble valuable points in the standings.

Pens back at it Saturday in Syracuse.

3 responses to “Southern Tier Implosion – Pens LOSE 4-3

  1. Justin iacona December 20, 2012 at 7:20 am

    If this keeps up, there won’t even be playoff emails!

  2. Michele December 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm

    got busy at work so I couldn’t listen to the 3rd period of the game. Got in the car to leave just as the game was ending and Gracie said the score and I was stunned.

    I thought major penalties or something happened. I could hardly believe only one penalty was called in the 3rd period. Were things just not getting called?

    I’m curious now but I think that any time the Penguins have a game that they do not have at least 10 shots on goal each period they lose.

    I think this loss is a major meltdown for the whole team. I don’t think it can be blamed on just poor offense or poor defense – I think what blame there is needs to be placed on everyones’ heads.

    I think the no ‘C’ experiment needs to end and a central voice needs to be picked for the team. I think the leading by committee thing is falling apart.

    • nafsnep December 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm

      Referee had no intention on calling anything all night.

      I can look up the shot / period thing for you if you’d like. I am interested in the last time the Pens gave up 4 goals in one period too.

      Warren Peters is the leader of the team on the ice. That he doesn’t have a C doesn’t really mean much, but don’t be surprised if he isn’t fast tracked as captain by the end of the year.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,386 other followers