- The Mets do not miss Clayton Kershaw, rather Clayton Kershaw misses the Mets. 1 hour ago
- ::falls over in his chair:: RT @Mets: Lead-off HOME RUN for @cgrand3!!! 1-0 #Mets!!! #NYMvsLAD pic.twitter.com/gvBqovOKEx 1 hour ago
- Well, I suppose FC Dallas wears red for a reason, seeing as though they lead MLS in red cards. 1 hour ago
- …of New Haven? http://t.co/FDw27Kuw2k 6 hours ago
- Facebook tells me that last years AHL schedule came out a year ago today. 9 hours ago
- I don't know about you, but I am getting excited for more Premier League this weekend. Foxes go for their first win against the Blues. #LCFC 1 day ago
- Don't all teams that go belly up initially say that they are going to come back next year? When do Columbia Inferno tickets go on sale? 1 day ago
A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
Rudderless Ship – Pens LOSE 3-2 (OT)
December 29, 2012Posted by on
The effort looked there at times, but the Penguins could not win again tonight losing 3-2 in overtime to a better than their standings place shows Norfolk Admirals team. The Penguins are 2-7-1-1 in December. The Admrials are 7-3-1 in December. Like two ships passing in the night going the opposite direction.
I can’t explain it. I don’t think anyone can right now. It seems like the team is a ship without a rudder and just going wherever the current takes it.
No captain. No sense of urgency. No effort on most nights. No wins to show.
I don’t know. I am not in the room and around the team at all. The time for, “get it together” is over.
Jeff Zatkoff vs. Igor Bobkov
First Period: Brian Gibbons throws a puck at the net and it slips by Bobkov for a quick 1-0 Penguins lead. First fifteen minutes or so, all Penguins. Final five minutes were all Norfolk. Shots this period were 11-7 Penguins.
Second Period: Norfolk must have adjusted to something because they owned this period. Chris Wagner deflects a Gabe Guentzel shot six minutes in. They continue to sail around the ice, pun intended. Penguins then get some offensive zone time. They manage no shots on goal at Bobkov. Then, a puck hops a stick and Admirals leading scorer Peter Holland skates in and scores on Zatkoff to make it 2-1. Somehow, someway, the Penguins tie the game late off a Jayson Megna stuff after a Pens faceoff win.
Third Period: Uneventful, really. Both teams had a chance at the power play but nothing became of it.
Overtime: :27 in, Benn Ferriero gets called for hooking in the neutral zone. This is after referee Geno Binda calls just two penalties in the third period and many he either missed or let slide. :27 later, Peter Holland feeds Patrick Maroon in the slot and Maroon buries it for the game winner.
Three Stars: 3) Jayson Megna (goal, +2) 2) Peter Holland (goal, assist, even) and 1) Patrick Maroon (overtime game winner, even)
Around the Division: Syracuse coughs up a four goal lead to the worst offensive team in the AHL in the St. John’s IceCaps (2.34 goals a game) and lose 5-4 in overtime. Binghamton keeps rolling and win in Rochester 2-1. Hershey loses in regulation to the Albany Devils 3-2.
Standings: Syracuse 43 — Binghamton 39 — Hershey 34 — Penguins 31 — Norfolk 29
Conference: 1) SYR 43 — 2) SPR 37 — 3) POR 36 — 4) BNG 39 — 5) WOR 35 — 6) BRI 35 — 7) PRO 34 — 8) HER 34 — 10) WBS 31
Wheeling Update: The Nailers were shutout by Ryan Zapolski and the South Carolina Stingrays 3-0. Yes the same Ryan Zapolski who was in Wilkes-Barre on a PTO when Zatkoff went down with an injury.
Aren’t up yet. Will be tomorrow morning most likely. Sunday Morning Edit: They are here. Went up 20 minutes after this published last night. Go figure.
Pens face off against the Syracuse Crunch at 5:05 Monday. Gameday for that will be up at 1 p.m. on New Years Eve.
Keep plugging. Go Penguins!
Comments are closed.