- Capitals tie it on the power play. Dis-LAICH. 4 hours ago
- Can't be worse than what we have now, which is basically chaos. 5 hours ago
- Let Tom Kostopoulos play the role of Alex Ovechkin and get the four best WBS passers out there to do what Washington does. 5 hours ago
- The Capitals power play is so basic. Everyone just stands around. No one moves. Ever. Can we try this in Wilkes-Barre? 5 hours ago
- That's not Fehr. 5 hours ago
- RT @WBSPenguins: Video highlights from the Penguins' five-point weekend are up now. Check them out on our YouTube page ---> http://t.co/k1Y… 8 hours ago
- ICYMI: Pens take 5 of 6 pts. this w/e, tied with NOR for East Division lead. My recap of the 4-3 SO win v TOR here: wp.me/pZJgR-1NQ 14 hours ago
A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
Brad’s Shark Steakhouse – Pens WIN 3-0
January 5, 2013Posted by on
Well, that was needed.
Needed for the Penguins, who have lost 11 of the last 12.
Needed for Brad Thiessen, who had a 3.41 goals against average and a 0.884 save percentage. A mediocre season to date is an understatement.
Needed for the fanbase, desperate for wins and watching the other fans of the division snatching up wins like they are going out of style.
Pens win this game tonight 3-0, blanking the Worcester Sharks behind a 30 save shutout by Brad Thiessen. His first shutout in over fourteen months.
Ex-Shark Benn Ferriero scored just forty seconds into the game after Beau Bennett wrapped around the net and passed to Ferriero. It was the jump that the Penguins needed as they looked a lot better in the period. Thiessen looked really sharp from the jump as well. He’d been looking like the Thiessen of old in past affairs but hadn’t had the run support. Sharks, to their credit, continued to test Thiessen and never really looked out of it.
In the second, the Pens got goals from Riley Holzapfel and Warren Peters. The Holzapfel goal was a snipe job from the slot. The Peters goal was a rebound of a shot from Eric Tangradi. Sharks would buzz and get good looks but Theissen kept them out.
When the third period started, I am sure visions of the collapse in Binghamton were still fresh in everyones minds. Also to note, Worcester is 6-7-0-1 when trailing after two periods. That is best in the league. So they know how to comeback in the third. Only this time, it didn’t happen. Penguins played prevent defense all period long. They had no intention of putting pucks to Worcester goalkeeper Harri Sateri, taking just two shots all period. It worked. They held on for the win, backstopped by Brad Thiessen not allowing many if any rebounds all game.
Three Stars were Riley Holzapfel (goal, +1) Benn Ferriero (game winning goal, +1) and Brad Thiessen (30 save shutout)
Standings in the East Division are: Syracuse 49 — Binghamton 45 — Hershey 34 — Penguins 33 — Norfolk 30.
Conference looks like this: 1) SYR (49) 2) POR (42) 3) SPR (41) 4) BNG (45) 5) WOR (37) 6) BRI (37) 7) PRO (36) 8) MCH (36) 10) WBS (33)
Wheeling also enjoyed a shutout tonight. They blanked the Trenton Titans by a score of 5-0. Paul Crowder had a hat trick.
No SendToNews highlights to share yet.
Pens bus to Hartford tonight to take on the Connecticut Whale tomorrow at 3 p.m. Gameday will be here on the blog for you at 11 a.m.