- That Bombulie blog update darn near made my brain explode. Tons of information. 5 hours ago
- RT @CVBombulie: Dumoulin, Drazenovic, Machacek, etc 4/17 dlvr.it/5QhWXb 5 hours ago
- Math is too dam hard. 10 hours ago
- Alright, so WBS can be as high as a 3, a 5, a 6 or a 7. Springfield is locked in at the 2. (2 plays 7) 10 hours ago
- RT @JChaimo: @nafsnep Can drop to 6 or 7 also. Correcting now. 11 hours ago
- 4 plays 5. East Division winner gets the 6 who can be either Albany, Providence or Norfolk. Pick your poison. 11 hours ago
- Springfield confirms what I had speculated to, that the Pens are going to be either a 3 or 5 seed. STJ locked in at 4. 11 hours ago
A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
Brad’s Shark Steakhouse – Pens WIN 3-0
January 5, 2013Posted by on
Well, that was needed.
Needed for the Penguins, who have lost 11 of the last 12.
Needed for Brad Thiessen, who had a 3.41 goals against average and a 0.884 save percentage. A mediocre season to date is an understatement.
Needed for the fanbase, desperate for wins and watching the other fans of the division snatching up wins like they are going out of style.
Pens win this game tonight 3-0, blanking the Worcester Sharks behind a 30 save shutout by Brad Thiessen. His first shutout in over fourteen months.
Ex-Shark Benn Ferriero scored just forty seconds into the game after Beau Bennett wrapped around the net and passed to Ferriero. It was the jump that the Penguins needed as they looked a lot better in the period. Thiessen looked really sharp from the jump as well. He’d been looking like the Thiessen of old in past affairs but hadn’t had the run support. Sharks, to their credit, continued to test Thiessen and never really looked out of it.
In the second, the Pens got goals from Riley Holzapfel and Warren Peters. The Holzapfel goal was a snipe job from the slot. The Peters goal was a rebound of a shot from Eric Tangradi. Sharks would buzz and get good looks but Theissen kept them out.
When the third period started, I am sure visions of the collapse in Binghamton were still fresh in everyones minds. Also to note, Worcester is 6-7-0-1 when trailing after two periods. That is best in the league. So they know how to comeback in the third. Only this time, it didn’t happen. Penguins played prevent defense all period long. They had no intention of putting pucks to Worcester goalkeeper Harri Sateri, taking just two shots all period. It worked. They held on for the win, backstopped by Brad Thiessen not allowing many if any rebounds all game.
Three Stars were Riley Holzapfel (goal, +1) Benn Ferriero (game winning goal, +1) and Brad Thiessen (30 save shutout)
Standings in the East Division are: Syracuse 49 — Binghamton 45 — Hershey 34 — Penguins 33 — Norfolk 30.
Conference looks like this: 1) SYR (49) 2) POR (42) 3) SPR (41) 4) BNG (45) 5) WOR (37) 6) BRI (37) 7) PRO (36) 8) MCH (36) 10) WBS (33)
Wheeling also enjoyed a shutout tonight. They blanked the Trenton Titans by a score of 5-0. Paul Crowder had a hat trick.
No SendToNews highlights to share yet.
Pens bus to Hartford tonight to take on the Connecticut Whale tomorrow at 3 p.m. Gameday will be here on the blog for you at 11 a.m.