Dribs & Drabs 1/15
January 14, 2013
Posted by on
Some things to catch you up on if you haven’t seen them already:
– Steve MacIntyre, Brad Thiessen and Jeff Zatkoff cleared waivers today. That’s great news, because we have muscle and guys that are very good at stopping opponents pucks headed their way.
– Jonathan Bombulie’s entry today touched on the above and also mentioned Tom Kuhnhackl had season ending upper body surgery. Sounds funny, doesn’t it? Season ending upper body surgery. At this point, the Penguins should just come out and say what he had operated on and be done with it. But, if you don’t have to, the Penguins don’t. We all have to live with that.
– Jonathan also mentioned Benn Ferriero practiced today, joined the team this morning on the bus to Norfolk and may or may not play tomorrow. My guess is he doesn’t, but we will see.
– Pittsburgh is planning on calling a few more guys up after the Norfolk game tomorrow for a scrimmage Wednesday which will be shown on ROOT Sports Pittsburgh. Some AHL teams are doing this with their NHL parents. Even some ECHL teams too, so it’s not a surprise to me that the Pens are among the ones that have this planned.
– Regarding call ups, Carl Sneep is still a Wheeling Nailer according to today’s ECHL Transactions.
– This next story is not feel good at all. Keven Veilleux was suspended indefinitely by the Wheeling Nailers yesterday for the alleged use of a racial slur in a game yesterday vs. the South Carolina Stingrays. You can read Nailers beat writer Shawn Rine’s story here. If the ECHL gets involved and suspends him, the AHL reviews any players status automatically should Veilleux get recalled back to WBS. I’m not about to turn my blog into a social studies lecture, so this is all I will offer on the matter.
– On a much lighter note, Eric Majeski has been writing about the Penguins and training camp since when I had hair. Here are his Day One and Day Two thoughts on Pittsburgh’s NHL training camp complete with practice lines.
Gameday for tomorrow’s game vs. Norfolk will be here on the blog at 3 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
Let’s Go Pens!