- RT @davesottile: RT @championshockey: Transfer alert: @LHChockey signed American forward Jeff Taffe (33). Taffe recorded over 500 points in… 9 hours ago
- I would love to watch the whole game, because the @SNYtv broadcast is criminally underrated. But the alarm for work goes off at 6:50 am 18 hours ago
- Let's see how many more innings of @Mets baseball I can watch before I watch me favorite movie called, "the back of my eyeballs" 18 hours ago
- RT @WBSPenguins: Our friend @99tux99 is in the running for favorite minor league mascot. Be sure to give him a vote or two here: http://t… 19 hours ago
A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
Pens Freeze Bears Outdoors – WIN 2-1 (OT)
January 20, 2013Posted by on
The Penguins come to Hershey, play an outdoor game and handle business and win tonight 2-1 in overtime before 17,311 at Hersheypark Stadium. Some notes:
– Jeff Zatkoff’s first win since December 22 at Syracuse. He had lost five straight coming into tonights game.
– The Penguins first win all season trailing after two periods. They were 0-15-1-0 prior.
– The Penguins have won four games in a row.
– They are also 1-0 all-time in outdoor games.
Jeff Zatkoff vs. Dany Sabourin
Carl Sneep, Philippe Dupuis and Warren Peters were the scratches for the Penguins.
First Period: Crisp period of hockey for both teams. No scoring, chances here and there and no penalties.
Second Period: Penguins get a power play but can’t capitalize. Then Dominik Uher and Steve Oleksy fight to a draw. Late, Tomas Kundratek skates into the high slot and receives a pass from Jeff Taffe to put the Bears on the board first. To the way that the game had been played at this moment, it looked as if that the 1-0 lead would be enough to hold up. But there was another period to be played. The…
Third Period: Riley Holzapfel and Zach Sill come in on a two on one and Holzapfel finished it to tie the game at one. At the time a big goal, obviously, as the Penguins were hanging with the Bears but were down 1-0. Back and forth we went and it was on to…
Overtime: Beau Bennett breaks his stick. Paul Thompson jumps over the boards and while he does receives a pass from Joey Mormina. Thompson skates in and scores it on Sabourin. Ballgame.
Penguins are now one point out of a playoff spot and two points back of Hershey for third in the division. They are three points behind the Manchester Monarchs for fifth in the conference.
Three Stars: 3) Jeff Zatkoff (24 saves on 25 shots) 2) Dany Sabourin (18 saves on 20 shots) and 1) Paul Thompson (game winning goal, assist, +1)
Around the Division: Norfolk traveled to Charlotte and lost 6-1. Everyone else was off.
Standings: Binghamton 54 — Syracuse 53 — Hershey 43 — Penguins 41 — Norfolk 33
Conference: 1) BNG (54) 2) SPR (54) 3) POR (50) 4) SYR (53) 5) MCH (44) 6) PRO (43) 7) HER (43) 8) BRI (42) 10) WBS (41)
Wheeling Update: The Nailers did not play today.
SendToNews Highlights: Aren’t up yet. I will check back in the morning and if I see it I will throw a link up.
Hopefully this continues. Nice to get a win in a novelty game. Things could have broken either way for both teams really. The Penguins look to keep things rolling come Wednesday when St. John’s comes calling.
If you follow me on other forms of social media, you will see that I threw up a bunch of photos from tonight’s festivities. I will pay that off to the blog probably tomorrow just as fodder to bridge us from here to St. John’s on Wednesday. Check back for that tomorrow.
Let’s Go Pens!
Comments are closed.