- Snapsterpieces. That's a new one… 1 hour ago
- What the hell is a 'bae' ?? -- If it's what I think, there's one by Chesapeake, and you spelled it wrong... 18 hours ago
- Groundscrew is acutally two words. Grounds. Crew. Duly noted. 19 hours ago
- Surprised that with the garbage on TV these days it hasn't been thought of. If you are in TV and this inspires you, thank me later. 19 hours ago
- I find it fascinating the work that goes into keeping a baseball field in pristine condition, day after day, game after game. 19 hours ago
- Would you watch a TV documentary about a MLB groundscrew's day to day care and upkeep of a field at a big league ball park? I would. 19 hours ago
- Here is @MikeOBrienWBS washing my truck! http://t.co/y6b0jJab2W 1 day ago
A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
Lovejoy Traded, Reese Recalled 2/6
February 6, 2013Posted by on
Probably my dryest week in the way of content. I was ready to close up shop and go to bed at 10:00 on a Wednesday. Then this happened:
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) February 7, 2013
It’s no secret that Ben Lovejoy is one of my all-time favorite players to ever pass through Wilkes-Barre. He had sort of a cult following during his time here. An undrafted kid, playing his first professional season in Wilkes-Barre. Had a weekly column called “Blueline Diaries” for the local Arts & Entertainment publication The Weekender. Didn’t score his first AHL goal till St. Patrick’s Day. Dennis Bonvie assisted on it if my memory serves. Half of the sweaters in my closet are Lovejoy jerseys. I have both pucks from his hardest shot attempts from when he was named an AHL All-Star when Worcester hosted it in 2009. He was a likable guy.
For some reason though, all of the above never translated into success in the NHL playing for Pittsburgh, so he was shipped for a fifth rounder. Pittsburgh could have tried to waive him for purposes of assignment to Wilkes-Barre, but he most likely would have been claimed, so they dumped him for a value pick. I wish him well.
The move almost cements the place of Simon Despres on the Pittsburgh blueline.
The other move was Dylan Reese getting the recall to Pittsburgh. This move makes little sense because Pittsburgh was already scratching Lovejoy, but perhaps he’s an insurance policy for the back-to-back games Pittsburgh is playing this weekend. Who knows.
Anyway, since I am already 250+ words into this, here’s Jonathan’s Wednesday practice update. Beau Bennett is good to go for this weekend.
Next blog update, but for another trade / recall, will be Friday’s Gameday setup vs. Norfolk at 3 p.m.
Let’s Go Pens!
Comments are closed.