- If you missed, it, I put out the final Week 29 Chirps from Center Ice AHL Power Rankings earlier today: wp.me/sZJgR-w29ahlpw 4 hours ago
- Just put the finishing touches on the Fourth Quarter Grades for the blog. They will hit the blog at noon Monday. 4 hours ago
- Okay. Here come the Rankings. You’ll probably see me re-post these at least once more tonight and again in the morning. 6 hours ago
- Yard work, a cigar & nice weather has delayed the final AHL Power Rankings. Sat outside & hammered out the capsules. They'll be up soon. 8 hours ago
- RT @seanshapiro: #AHL president comments on potential pacific division wrongsideoftheredline.wordpress.com/2014/04/20/ahl… @PPPSHOW @nafsnep @RampageNate @tweetneal 11 hours ago
- ICYMI: Pens lose 2-0 dressing all ATO lineup, get Binghamton Round 1. My words here: wp.me/pZJgR-1S8 14 hours ago
- Another year, another Hap Holmes award. Congrats to Hartzell and Deslauriers for the accomplishment. 14 hours ago
A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
Lovejoy Traded, Reese Recalled 2/6
February 6, 2013Posted by on
Probably my dryest week in the way of content. I was ready to close up shop and go to bed at 10:00 on a Wednesday. Then this happened:
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) February 7, 2013
It’s no secret that Ben Lovejoy is one of my all-time favorite players to ever pass through Wilkes-Barre. He had sort of a cult following during his time here. An undrafted kid, playing his first professional season in Wilkes-Barre. Had a weekly column called “Blueline Diaries” for the local Arts & Entertainment publication The Weekender. Didn’t score his first AHL goal till St. Patrick’s Day. Dennis Bonvie assisted on it if my memory serves. Half of the sweaters in my closet are Lovejoy jerseys. I have both pucks from his hardest shot attempts from when he was named an AHL All-Star when Worcester hosted it in 2009. He was a likable guy.
For some reason though, all of the above never translated into success in the NHL playing for Pittsburgh, so he was shipped for a fifth rounder. Pittsburgh could have tried to waive him for purposes of assignment to Wilkes-Barre, but he most likely would have been claimed, so they dumped him for a value pick. I wish him well.
The move almost cements the place of Simon Despres on the Pittsburgh blueline.
The other move was Dylan Reese getting the recall to Pittsburgh. This move makes little sense because Pittsburgh was already scratching Lovejoy, but perhaps he’s an insurance policy for the back-to-back games Pittsburgh is playing this weekend. Who knows.
Anyway, since I am already 250+ words into this, here’s Jonathan’s Wednesday practice update. Beau Bennett is good to go for this weekend.
Next blog update, but for another trade / recall, will be Friday’s Gameday setup vs. Norfolk at 3 p.m.
Let’s Go Pens!
Comments are closed.