Stat Board Update / Mailbag
November 10, 2019
Posted by on
I updated the Big Stat Board through November 9, 2019 vs. Syracuse. You can link to that here or just click into the menu bar at the top of the blog to be taken there.
– How critical is Zach Trotman right now for the Penguins? Wilkes-Barre’s defense was a mess before his arrival, but now have allowed just one goal in two games against some offensively explosive AHL teams.
– No surprise that Jon Lizotte, Trotman’s defensive partner last night, is right at the top of the board in Even Strength Goals For (ESGF) percentage for defenseman. Lizotte has been far and away the best Penguins defenseman so far into the season and an argument can be made that he’s the most consistent Penguins rookie as well.
– For forwards, no surprises. Adam Johnson, Stefan Noesen and Andrew Agozzino are the best at overall goals for (GF) average. All are over 60%. Johnson is at 75% in a small sample size.
– I think the market will correct itself on all of the sub-50% ESGF’s, which is more than half the team when you factor out the injured or recalled guys. I want more from Joseph Blandisi (28.57) Anthony Angello (28.57) and Jake Lucchini (42.11) – again, I think the market will correct itself as it goes, but Blandisi is a legitimate NHL recall option, Angello is in his second year and Lucchini doesn’t want to carry a tag of a guy who doesn’t play defense.
– David Warsofsky has the worst numbers at even strength with a 23.81% or five goals on and 16 against. That frankly needs to change, quickly. If you are advocating for a scratch, well he’s the captain and his power play numbers (9 on, 3 against) are too good to take out. The purest definition of risk / reward if there ever was one. Warsofsky is also third on the team in points, so you have to take the good with the bad and again, I firmly believe that there will be a regression to the mean and his even strength numbers will improve.
Take a look, let me know what you think about that and whatever other general questions you may have on the team in this edition of the Mailbag. Get your questions in and I’ll answer them Tuesday for you.
This mailbag is closed and your questions were answered here.