A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
2018-19 Schedule Matrix Announced
May 11, 2018Posted by on
I think Hershey was the first team to announce a schedule matrix of opponents for 2018-19 on Thursday. Other teams followed suit slowly. Well, Friday it was the Penguins turn.
No real changes from last year but for the addition of the Cleveland Monsters to the schedule docket. Wilkes-Barre will play every Eastern Conference team at least once and also go back to Grand Rapids, Rockford and Milwaukee.
Breakdown goes as follows….
- I am not a fan of playing Charlotte, a divisional foe, just four times. Those games matter.
- Further, I’m not a fan of playing Syracuse just twice. Those games turn into premier games in that it’s the only time all season that you will see the club. I don’t associate that at all with the Crunch.
- Easy fix is to simply take two games off of the Hershey and Lehigh Valley series, only play the Phantoms and Bears 10 games, and add a game to the Charlotte series and one more to Syracuse.
- That would likely mean that the Penguins would have to play three straight in Charlotte. I don’t know that they would want to do that because of distance.
- The Cleveland series will likely be a back to back Friday-Saturday series in Cleveland.
- I’m not complaining, but I would have liked to have seen Iowa and Chicago on the matrix instead of the same combination of Milwaukee, Grand Rapids and Rockford. But hey, they are Western Conference teams.
Overall, pretty business as usual. Schedule should be out pretty soon, once the Calder Cup Finals wrap up in about a month.
The Offseason Moves List has its own dedicated page now, which you can access here or just use the tab at the top of the blog.
Next blog update will be the Conference Finals Preview. Toronto is in, awaiting the winner of Lehigh Valley and Charlotte. Texas is a game away from advancing past Tucson and Rockford has Manitoba in a 3-0 hole. Look for that very soon.