December 17, 2021
Posted by on
Includes the December 21 game the Penguins were supposed to play up North. Instead, the Pens will just head to Rochester where they will play the Americans on Wednesday.
Logistically, this is a nightmare. The Pens and Marlies play four times this season, two home and two away. Wilkes-Barre isn’t scheduled to go back to Toronto till March 23. That’s a Wednesday. My guess is that it will likely be a back to back to some type, either a Tuesday-Wednesday or a Wednesday-Thursday. If they do Thursday, they have to make an exception because the League eliminated four games in five nights a few years back. After the Pens head to Rochester, they are finished with the Americans this season, so it’s not like they can just cross over the next time they play Rochester, after Wednesday there is no next time.
Probably worse for Toronto, because their two games at Grand Rapids this weekend were also postponed. Again, logistical nightmares.
More tomorrow after the Hershey game. I just can’t commit to putting a preview series out when everything is so volatile.
December 15, 2021
Posted by on
One of them is the December 3 game that the Pens were supposed to play in Syracuse. That gets moved to Sunday, March 27. Wilkes-Barre will be wrapping up a FRiday stop in Belleville and a Saturday trip to Laval. Instead of bussing straight home, the Pens will play in Syracuse that Sunday at 5.
All but one game (the December 5 game in Hershey) needs to be rescheduled. Edit: This game was rescheduled for February 22. Thank you Brian for the correction. The Charlotte game that the Pens were supposed to play at home after the Friday trip to Syracuse was moved to the middle of April. Yesterday’s game played was supposed to be last Wednesday’s game.
August 25, 2010
Posted by on
It got serious today around 4 p.m. for me when the AHL announced the schedule for the upcoming 2010-2011 season.
Full 30 team schedules can be found here in .pdf format. Wilkes-Barre’s is on the last page in the middle if you care to just print out the last page.
Eric P at the Wilkes-Blog offered analysis on the games. If I can piggyback Eric, the home opener Oct 9 vs. Hershey is huge. Adirondack follows on Oct 12 then we hit the road for Charlotte for two games Oct 15 and 17 in the Queen City. Carolyn Christians from Canes Country tweeted me earlier about this being the Checkers home opener, which crowds of over 12,000 are expected for both nights. Busloads from parent city Raleigh are no doubt anticipated. The Checkers some say are loaded up for a serious run at the Calder Cup this year. What better way for the WBS Pens to set the tone with Hershey, destroy the hapless Phantoms, then take the show on the road and completely let the air out of the Time Warner Cable Arena both nights (to avenge the sweep last year) and come home to Hershey Oct 22 4-0.
Beat writer Jonathan Bombulie was blogging like a boss earlier. His rock-solid analysis is here.
A quick glance of the schedule include the following potential road trips for me which do not include @ Binghamton / Hershey / All-Star Classic which are automatic for me:
- Charlotte – October 15 and 17
- Rochester – Nov 7
- Worcester – Nov 13*
- Albany – Dec 12 (in Atlantic City)
- Syracuse – Dec 18
- Hershey – Dec 30 (in Pittsburgh)**
- Charlotte – Jan 4 and 5*
- Providence / Adirondack / Hartford – Jan 14, 15, 16*
- Adirondack – Jan 21 (in Philadelphia)
- Albany / Binghamton – Jan 28 and 29
- Syracuse – Feb 5
- Bridgeport – Feb 11
- Norfolk – Feb 18 and 19
- Abbotsford / Manitoba – March 11, 12, 15, 16*
- Bingo / Adirondack / Hershey / Norfolk – Mar 25, 26, 27 and 30
- Syracuse – April 3
(Everything is predicated on weather, health, money, a reliable vehicle, etc.)
* – potential Booster Club trip — ** – counts as a home game for WBS. Likely will be included in the tickets for full share season ticket holders.
I do not like:
- Marlies Mar 4 in Toronto not part of the Abbotsford / Manitoba road trip.
- The yearly Thanksgiving game in Binghamton against Wilkes-Barre. Family trumps hockey for me (most of the time) especially on holidays.
- Rochester Nov 7 in Rochester, followed by a home game vs. Syracuse Nov 8 then back to Rochester Nov 9. I checked the Amerks schedule. They are on the road v. Albany Nov 8. Makes no sense.
- Jan 1 game v. Norfolk. Same day as the Winter Classic in Pittsburgh. WBS is raffling 400 tickets to the game to its season ticket holders. What if I am one of the lucky ones who get a ticket to the Winter Classic? Just seems not logical (unless the Jan 1 game v. Norfolk was set in place before the game with Hershey in Pittsburgh.)
That’s all I have for now. Stay tuned to my Twitter feed for more analysis and more. We are inside of 50 days. Let’s Go Pens!
August 15, 2010
Posted by on
There is absolutely NOTHING going on hockey-wise these days. What is news you probably have seen already and will set us up nicely here at Chirps from Center Ice for blog fodder in the coming weeks.
The AHL tweeted Friday that the schedule is near done. I’m interested in whether I am going to Canada this year or next.
Pensfest is this Friday. I cannot attend since I am attending a wedding. Not my own. I bought a suit. First time in years I’ll be wearing one (we do business casual at work). Will probably put some pictures of me in this suit sometime this week. I need a haircut.
Binghamton needs a beat writer. If I had an English degree and watched hockey longer I would probably apply.
Like I said, NOTHING going on. Stay tuned!