- Coach says Harkins’ rise has been Moose’s best story
- 2019-20 AHL Man of the Year team winners named
- Timmins settling into the pros after long journey
- Crunch organization lends hand to Upstate Hospital
- Comets’ Cull coping with break
- Cirelli credits AHL development for strong two-way play
- Canadiens, Dauphin agree to one-year extension
A fan blog about the AHL's Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Penguins
Daniel Sprong Named to All Rookie Team
April 5, 2018Posted by on
Lost in the Tom Kostopolus retirement news Wednesday was the announcement from the American Hockey League that Daniel Sprong was named to the All-Rookie team.
Announcement here. Sprong joins his buddy Dylan Strome from the Tucson Roadrunners at the forward position.
From the Coal Street release, Sprong became the eighth Penguin ever named to the AHL’s All-Rookie Team, joining Casey DeSmith (2016-17), Jake Guentzel (2016-17), Matt Murray (2014-15), Alex Goligoski (2007-08), John Curry (2007-08), Michel Ouellet (2003-04) and Toby Petersen (2000-01).
Sprong leads all league rookies in goals, and he ranks second in points, shots (181), power play goals (10) and game-winning goals (6). His 57 points also place him ninth in the overall AHL scoring standings.
It’s a great accomplishment for Sprong and a credit to him as a professional and the coaching staff here in Wilkes-Barre to put Sprong in this position to succeed.
Does Sprong come close to these numbers in the NHL this season? No, not the way that the organization values so highly development. But that is what the American Hockey League is for, to have players like Sprong to thrive at this level, succeed and be awarded at seasons end.
Comments are closed.